Sunday, August 20, 2023

Tea Review- Malaya Tea Room

It was my birthday this past week so of course another excuse for afternoon tea! I think my friends might be a little bit tired of tea at this point but they were good sports about coming with me to try out this place anyway!



The website has a reservation option through the app OpenTable so it's really easy to make a reservation. The location is in Alameda which is decently far from me and there was only street parking available. It was really confusing getting there off the highway! I ended up being a little late because all the roads were confusing and there's not really an option for public transit. There are a few vegetarian sandwiches and no gluten free options.
Ease of access (location, hours, ease of making reservation, dietary menu options): 6/10



The atmosphere inside was really cute and thoughtfully laid out. Place settings were all somewhat plain but matching. You have to ring the bell when you want waitstaff to come over. It's both nice because you don't get interrupted but also awkward for me because I feel rude bothering them when they may be busy 😅
Atmosphere (décor, place settings, staff): 8/10



The tea service was really tasty and left me and the people at my table satisfied but not really full. The creativity of the sandwich types makes for a unique experience but I wish there was just one or two more items. The tea service is $35 per person. 
Price (value for money): 7.5/10




The tea was really good. They had a lot of variety to choose from and the one I got was black tea with cherry flavor which was really good! Several other people got different teas that I was definitely not a fan of but did taste like they were supposed to. They even gave us this unique honey pot thing that the honey came out the bottom which was genius! 
Tea: 9/10




The scone was plain and a little small but perfectly good. Not too dry and we were given a decent amount of jam and clotted cream for it!
Scones (and/or crumpets): 6/10





The savories were really tasty here! The sandwich flavors were unique (I got chicken curry and Bak Kwa and my friend also traded me a pork floss with basil spread) and there was this little potato canape. The cracker it was on was a little dense for my taste but the actual flavors were super good! I just wish there was a little bit more.
Savories: 8.5/10




The sweets included a pandan chiffon cake (pandan is like the new fad apparently- I'm seeing it everywhere!), a mango pudding and a fancy marshmallow (I got strawberry and mango). There were also these cute chocolate rocks as decorations which I definitely ate some of 😅
Sweets: 8.5/10


Total average rating: 7.6/10

This tea service would probably be best for 2-6 people as the tea shop isn't very large but it's a really unique tea service in the Bay Area so I'd definitely recommend checking it out!




Blouse, wristcuffs, headbow: Angelic Pretty
Socks: BtSSB
Purse: Emily Temple Cute
Shoes: Sheep Puff
Necklace: BB&B
Rings: Baby Style and Majo no Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tea Review: Muir's Tea Room

I was able to finally make it to Muir's Tea Room! It's located in Sebastopol so it's quite a ways away from me and most of the r...