Monday, March 6, 2023

Tea Review: Lovejoy's

Lovejoy's is definitely a staple in the bay area for tea- I've been to the SF location several times for events! There was even a branch in Redwood City for awhile but unfortunately though I got to-go tea from them several times during the pandemic I was never able to go back and have a sit-down tea there again before they closed 😢 






The location of Lovejoy's is decently accessible via public transit. You can take BART to 24th St and then walk 15 minutes (though up hills!) to the location. You can also take Muni J line that drops off right in front of the location! Our party did not have any dietary restrictions but it's printed on the menu about gluten free and other dietary options. You can also pick your sandwiches and scone from the menu so if there's a typical tea sandwich you don't like you can pick something from a decently extensive menu.
Ease of access: 7.5/10


The atmosphere inside is eclectic like many cozy tea rooms tend to be, place settings and tea pots are cutely mismatched and the table cloths are cute with lots of lace and patterns. The staff were pleasant and knowledgeable about the teas when I asked which of two might be better. The bathroom was cute but the tea room was very busy and lines constantly formed for the single bathroom in the back.  
Atmosphere: 8.5/10




The price for the Queen's Tea was $34.95- a pretty standard price for a full tea! I left very full and didn't have any leftovers.
Price (value for money): 7/10




The tea menu was extensive but not overwhelming. I got the mango black tea which I really liked though I didn't really taste mango specifically more like general fruity taste black tea. 
Tea: 9/10




The scones here have been my favorite so far! Crumbly but not dry- the clotted cream was thick and the preserves were raspberry (which I prefer over strawberry) both were generously portioned so that everyone at the table was able to load up their scones! The Queens Tea also came with Crumpets that came part way through the service still warm with butter and lemon curd, super tasty!
Scones (and/or crumpets): 10/10



The sandwiches were a little disappointing. I got the chicken salad and the daily special (turkey with cranberry Chardonnay mustard) this course came with a salad also. I'm not a huge fan of salad and while the sandwiches were "full" sandwiches cut into 1/4 triangles they weren't anything special. 
Savories: 6.5/10




 
Unfortunately the sweets portion was also somewhat disappointing. It mainly consisted of fruit, a small cookie and 'something from the dessert tray' which could be a macaron, petit four, or chocolate truffle all of various flavors. I'm almost always biased in favor of petit fours though because they are always delicious but I think I would have liked less salad or slightly less sandwich for another dessert item that wasn't fruit- maybe a tart, brownie or small cake. 

Sweets: 4/10


Total average rating: 7.5/10


Overall a solid place for an afternoon tea experience but much more attention I think is on the atmosphere and presentation than the food at least at this location. If you want a lot of choice with your afternoon tea, a fantastic scone, and to enjoy a good atmosphere this might be the tea place for you! I would go back again but still not my favorite spot for afternoon tea so far! 

Almost forgot the outfit shot! The theme was masquerade which I was already prepared for with a past coord!


Blouse, Socks, Headbow: BtSSB
Mask: SOFFITTA
Shoes: Queen Bee

 

1 comment:

  1. My friend took me here for Christmas and I am now obsessed with the rose tea that I had! Also I had a petit four and it was so good. I also wanted like five more of them lol.

    ReplyDelete

Tea Review: Muir's Tea Room

I was able to finally make it to Muir's Tea Room! It's located in Sebastopol so it's quite a ways away from me and most of the r...