Monday, November 20, 2023

Tea Review: Crown and Crumpet

I was able to go to Crown and Crumpet with some friends this weekend! This is a comm staple as it's right below Baby in the New People Building in SF Japantown.




Due to the fact that this is in Japantown it's an easy drive for me but less accessible for me with public transit since you have to take BART/Caltrain then a bus. Reservations were easy just through Yelp! They did ask if we had any dietary restrictions/allergies and had gluten free tea available if requested in advance and oat milk available for dairy free.

Ease of access (location, hours, ease of making reservations, dietary menu options): 7.5/10






The atmosphere was cute but uncluttered, white with pops of pink and pastels. The place settings were all matching and branded and had cute sayings in the saucers! The staff were really friendly and explained the items well but one of our party couldn't decide between two teas and asked to be surprised and ended up with neither so that was a little disappointing. It was also really hot. The big windows look nice but make the space super warm even in colder temperatures outside, even in colder climates I'd recommend wearing layers for your visit!
Atmosphere (decor, place settings, staff): 7/10





The tea was $44 w/o tax and tip. I feel like there was a good variety of flavors and items from each tier included and I left really full!
Price: 9/10




The tea menu was moderately sized and included a wonderful array of flavors it was so hard to choose! Especially the flavored black teas- I'd like to go back again for a 'cream tea' experience just to drink all the types I'd like to try! Lots of table favorites and all the teas I sampled from others choices were delicious.
Tea: 10/10




The sandwiches included a cucumber cream cheese open face sandwich, a ham salad and an egg salad. I was very happy salmon was not included! Not particularly unique but solid. There was also a mini pig in a blanket and cheddar scone. The tiny cheddar scone was really tasty! There was also a small salad that I didn't end up eating any of as I'm meh on salads and there was already so much.
Savories: 8/10





The scone was a blueberry and crumbly/flakey but not dry. There was a good amount of jam and clotted cream for everyone as well as house made lemon curd. The crumpet was good but nothing special however I'm glad they included both!
Scone (and/or crumpet): 7.5/10





The sweets included a strawberry and lemon panna cotta, chocolate covered strawberry, cranberry blondie, and a shortbread cookie with (I think) almond butter dipped in chocolate. I liked that there was both lighter fruit flavors and chocolate included in the dessert part. For some reason it still wasn't my favorite dessert course.
Sweets: 7/10




Overall: 8


Crown and Crumpet is a contender for highest score so far! With a well balanced selection of food, great tea selection, and cute atmosphere it's definitely a comm favorite for a reason! The SF location is pretty small though so for an event with more than 6 people you may have to go for their party area package which does include an event space and party favor but is $75/person +tax and gratuity instead of the $44 for the regular tea.



Blouse: BtSSB
Hat, Socks: Angelic Pretty
Shoes: Sheep Puff
Bag: Emily Temple Cute
Necklace: BB&B

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tea Review: Muir's Tea Room

I was able to finally make it to Muir's Tea Room! It's located in Sebastopol so it's quite a ways away from me and most of the r...