Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Tea Review: DIY!

I went to the Rose Forét event called Rose Café this weekend! I also attended the virtual tea party and thought it would be fun to review my home DIY tea set up as if it was one of my tea locations. This may go poorly 😅





As this tea was served in my apartment ease of access to the venue was extra easy- no need for public transit or finding parking! I could make exactly the type of food I prefer when making savories and sweets including my favorite Queens Cakes. 
Ease of access (location, hours, ease of making reservation, dietary menu options): 10/10

The décor of the apartment is not as cute as some of the places I've been, though I've been slowly decorating more and have a cute zoom-area set up it's only ok and very Ikea-and-nerd-chic. Staff (me) seemed very stressed making sure everything got done at the pre-arranged time. The tea items in the place setting are cute individually but are mismatched in an odd way rather than a cute way. 
Atmosphere (décor, place settings, staff): 5/10


This is a little tricky since I used several items I had already (scone mix, brownie mix, flour and baking sundries from past projects, etc.). I would estimate that I spent ~$35-$40 (divided out) on this tea set up. When you factor in baking and assembling time it's definitely fun every once in a while but I do prefer going to the professionals overall!
Price (value for money and time): 6/10


Tea selection was overwhelming (so many tea samples...) but also easy to pare down to my few favorites and the tea I picked was a cherry blossom seasonal from Lupicia, very delicious! 
Tea: 8.5/10


The scones ended up being a little flat so I couldn't really cut them but they weren't dry and had a good flavor. 
Scones (and/or crumpets): 7/10



Savories included a sun-dried tomato and mozzarella toast, a turkey cheddar and apple sandwich, and a curry chicken salad sandwich. All flavors I really like and ended up being delicious! The sandwiches were a little hard to eat though as they kept losing fillings D: 
Savories: 8.5/10



Sweets included Queens Cakes, brownies and caramel popcorn. The queens cakes and brownies were really good, the popcorn was leftovers though so it was a little melty/sticky. I feel like I needed a fruit or fruit based dessert, something a bit lighter to round out the dessert course. 
Sweets: 6.5/10


Total average rating: 7.3/10


Overall DIY holds up in terms of location and flavors however there's some downsides. I made way too much food both for day of for one person and I have an enormous amount of leftovers (delicious leftovers but still...so many!) Even cutting corners by using mixes and stuff I already had making sure to plan the menu and execute it starting days beforehand is really a lot of work! I'll probably keep doing DIY for any future virtual tea but unless there's a reason I'll leave making all the fiddly tea treats to the professionals! 


And of course my outfit! I wore my Pup in Cup JSK for the café theme, I thought the tea cups and parfaits worked well!
Blouse: BtSSB 
Cardigan, socks: Angelic Pretty 
Beret: The Black Ribbon 
Shoes: Sheep Puff 
Necklace: BB&B
Rings: BtSSB and Majo no Recipe 

Recipes used:

1 comment:

  1. I discovered your blog through Instagram, and I know this is a random comment, but I love your blog!!! It's such an enjoyable read!!! Your outfits are so cute! (also a Bay Area Lolita-adjacent otome kei/ casual here, so it's nice to see more of us out there!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete

Tea Review: Muir's Tea Room

I was able to finally make it to Muir's Tea Room! It's located in Sebastopol so it's quite a ways away from me and most of the r...