Saturday, December 16, 2023

Tea Review: Jade Chocolates





Jade chocolates is located in Chinatown in downtown SF. It's really easy to get to even via Caltrain and the new T Muni line or BART. There are 3 seating times and you can call or book via their website for a reservation. None of our party had dietary restrictions and no mention of substitutions were made on the website. 
Ease of access (location, hours, ease of making reservation, dietary menu options): 8.5/10



The decor was very Chinese tea inspired as is fitting with the location and a nice deviation from the kind of cutely cluttered decor of many tea places! The place settings all matched and were and elegant white and gold pattern. The staff seemed a little harried but were attentive when we asked for more water or jam! They also took the time to explain each item and course to us and why they chose this theme.

Atmosphere (décor, place settings, staff): 9/10



Ths tea is $68 per person with a set menu. Unfortunately each tea is made specifically for the number of guests you reserved for so if one member of your party isn't there on the day you still have to pay for their service (but can take home if you need!). I ate everything and was full but not overly stuffed, there was a good balance of sweets and savories but as one of the more expensive tea services it wasn't great value for the price. Perhaps some of their other seasonal menus with more creative options would be better! 

Price (value for money): 6/10




As it was a set menu the teas were also set so we did not get to choose. They were tasty and good for what they were but weren't my favorite. If you like choosing your preferred tea this might not be the one for you. 

Tea: 5/10




The scones were small and a little dry though they came with jam clotted cream and a seared peach which was interesting. Unfortunately not my favorite of the scones I've had.

Scones (and/or crumpets): 5/10




The savories were actually quite good and had even a soup and salad (on a plate this time! No awkward reaching for bits with tongs like other places!). The soup was actually my favorite part and the salad my least favorite. I'm not partial to salad at the best of times and this one was particularly bitter and peppery for some reason. I wish the puff pastries ones were a bit bigger since they were good just extra tiny. 
Savories: 7.5/10




The sweets were half really good and half ok. The chocolate covered mango and small chocolate bar with candied ginger and orange were obviously very good- especially if you like dark chocolate! I really enjoyed my macaroon though others at the table felt it was too sweet. The Victoria sponge fruit cake was interesting? I don't actually think I've had fruit cake in years! 
Sweets: 8.5/10


Total average rating: 7.1/10


Overall I enjoyed my tea here but I think I'd be back sometime when they have a seasonal menu that appealed to me with more unique offerings as the price didn't quite justify the experience with this theme for me. The space is quite limited so a group of 2-4 is best, no large groups!


My outfit:

Blouse: BtSSB 
Hat: Enchantlic Enchantilly
Socks: Innocent World 
Shoes: American Duchess 
Pins: The Black Ribbon and Peppermint Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tea Review: Muir's Tea Room

I was able to finally make it to Muir's Tea Room! It's located in Sebastopol so it's quite a ways away from me and most of the r...